The holidays are one of my favorite times of year, because this whole season one does not need an excuse to bake. Of course, I bake frequently all year long, but suddenly it becomes ok, or even expected, to bring desserts for every occasion. And there are so many fun holiday flavors and decorations! These candy cane cookies are one of my favorite easy festive recipes. They are pretty fast to whip up, and they look so cute! The crunchy minty candy canes complements the softer chocolates fudgey cookie below, held together with a touch of white chocolate. This year I was excited to stumble upon already crushed bags of candy cane in our local grocery store in the US, making these even easier to make.
And if you are looking for quick homemade holiday presents, these cookies in a jar are a great option! Every time I bake these, they get lots of complements.... Something about the m&ms, oatmeal AND chocolate chips, combined with the great chewy texture make them a favorite for any occasion.
If you are not so lucky to find pre-crushed candy canes, then put your unwrapped candy canes inside two zip lock bags and crush them with a rolling pin or hammer.
NB: when buying white chocolate always make sure it is high quality, with a good amount of cocoa butter listed in the ingredients (usually at least 50%).
Candy Cane Holiday Crunch Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- 113 grams (1 stick) unsalted butter - room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
~ 200 grams white chocolate, coarsely chopped
~ 200 grams crusehd candy canes/starlight mints/ crushed candy cane
Make the cookies:
Preheat the oven to 176c/350f
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the egg, then the vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and cocoa, then the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie. Use your fingers to coerce the edges into circular shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges look set, then cool on a wire wrack.
- Once cookies are cook, melt the white chocolate gently in the microwave (in 30 second bursts, stirring well in between). Dip the top of each cookie gently into the white chocolate, let it drip off, then dip into the crushed candy cane. Let them rest till the chocolate hardens.